Sunday, April 23, 2006

deal or no deal

So here's the scoop with getting my painting cleaned (see last post for the tale). The gallery curator truly feels horrible about what has happened, and brought the painting to a conservator to assess. After examining it and making some recommendations, she said that when the artist is alive and because there is retouching involved, she feels it's always better for the artist to do the work.

Here's what the conservator recommends: Scrape off the excess paint, then rub some mineral spirits on the spot. This will also remove the acrylic paint, so when it's dry I'll have to repaint that area. She said it will probably not be perfect, but not bad. Given that the red splotch is on the background, a mix of cream and white I applied mostly with a palette knife, the repainting might not be so bad.

Essentially, it's not great news and not awful news. The Gallery would like to offer me some compensation for all this, and has asked me to think about what I think a fair amount would be. For them to go through their insurance and pay for the painting they would have to keep it, whereas I want it back.

My dilemma is that I don't know what amount to propose. Base it on a percentage of the painting's asking price? Assign a value to the materials and time to repair it? Consider whether this will affect me being able to sell the work after I fix it? The gallery is not a big one, and doesn't have gobs of money. I find putting a dollar value to art extremely hard to begin with, and frankly I think I'm pretty crappy at it, so this is tough. If anyone out there has a suggestion, please let me know!

3 Comments:

Blogger Susan Schwake said...

OK, I have a strong opnion, but as a gallery owner, I would offer to pay the price you set for the work. We do a 60% to the artist 40% to the gallery split. I would pay the 60% to you of the retail price. It is unthinkable what happened (in my humble opnion) and I think the gallery is responsible. That is why they carry insurance.

5:38 PM  
Blogger Susan Schwake said...

p.s. if you want to keep it, i would think they would - under the circumstances - allow that too. it is not as though they are going to be able to sell it!

5:39 PM  
Blogger sugar mama said...

Thanks so much Susan, I really value your perspective on this! I think I will propose 50% of the selling price, and will update on how it turns out!

6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home