Sunday, July 09, 2006

illustration friday - skyline


This became my 'signature painting' for a long while after I finished it... I imagined a dreamy, sleepy winter village, with storefronts lit up and people all warm and cozy inside their houses, maybe drinking hot chocolate or reading a good book. This is what came out! I didn't offer it up for sale for a couple of years, but last summer I sold it at Art in the Park. I had mixed feelings about selling it, largely because of the couple who bought it. I genuinely liked the wife, and she really wanted the painting. But... her husband, to be frank, seemed like a bit of a tool. He also tried to barter with me in a not-so-friendly way. If she wasn't standing behind him looking hopeful, I would have snatched it back and said thanks, but no thanks. Anyway, I hope it's appreciated and happy now!

15 Comments:

Blogger Annie said...

how lovely, reminds me of home!

1:03 PM  
Blogger marcisenders said...

This is sweet!

1:25 PM  
Blogger Ginger*:) said...

This is lovely. I can imagine being in a cozy room near a fire looking out at this lovely village and thinking seriously about putting on my boots and mittens and going for a stroll in the night.

1:25 PM  
Blogger murphy girl said...

this is lovely, very effective. and now it lives on, to be appreciated by us!

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This would make a wonderful image on a holiday card.

4:22 PM  
Blogger constance wong said...

This is so enchanting! How I wish it snows here in Malaysia...

6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That painting is like comfort food for the eyes. I'm glad you sold it to that woman. With a man like that in her life, she needs it. You've done a good deed.

9:21 PM  
Blogger Mattias Adolfsson said...

Very comforting, especially now when we in Sweden got a heat wave

7:00 AM  
Blogger nicole falk said...

i really love this and the feeling it gives...so cozy..do you have prints anywhere?

10:37 AM  
Blogger georg said...

Beautiful - lovely colours, great style

7:27 PM  
Blogger carla said...

This is beautiful, and it really does convey those pictures you had in your mind. It sounds like the woman who bought it must have connected to it on that level, and her husband was just being a jerk. You should feel happy that she has a "friend" hanging on a wall that will transport her to a happy place each time she sees it:> It's a very lovely work!

7:25 AM  
Blogger Serline said...

Home sweet home.It gives me a very warm feeling.Wonderful!

1:31 PM  
Blogger lil kim said...

amazing how you can make something so cold look so cosy. it looks like the canadian winters of my childhood. very lovely!

8:04 PM  
Blogger Stacia said...

Warm and cold at the same time! The snow looks so soft. Beautiful!

9:53 PM  
Blogger sugar mama said...

thanks everyone, especially for your perspective on who bought it -- I actually feel a lot better about it now!

Halloweenville, as a matter of fact I do have prints -- I had some digital prints done a couple of years ago and some are still kicking around. They're a bit smaller than the original, and very reasonably priced. If you're still interested, let me know!

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home